Battersea Power Station has always had an unusual grip on the popular imagination. In 1928, when construction began, the Archbishop of Canterbury led a popular revolt against such a belching, toxic thing in the centre of the city.
By 1939, six years after this 400,000kW ‘flaming altar of modern power’ came on stream, pumping electricity down copper wires and puffing lightly laundered sulphur into the atmosphere…
…an architectural magazine had voted it the second-best building of the 20th century.
From Stephen Bayley’s More Power to His Elbow, The Guardian (2006)